Kubuntu is an official derivative of the Ubuntu operating system which uses the KDE Plasma Desktop instead of the Unity graphical environment. Kubuntu is an operating system built by a worldwide team of expert developers. As part of the Ubuntu project, Kubuntu uses the same underlying systems, every package in Kubuntu shares the same repositories as Ubuntu, and it is released regularly on the same schedule as Ubuntu. It is possible to install both the KDE Plasma Desktop (kubuntu-desktop) and the Unity desktop (ubuntu-desktop) on the same machine. It contains all the applications you need: a web browser, an office suite, media apps, an instant messaging client and many more. Kubuntu’s Plasma Desktop is fully customizable without extra tools or configuration file editing.
Kubuntu is based on free software from many communities of developers including:
- KDE Software, applications that give you power
- Plasma, KDE’s desktop and netbook workspaces
- Linux, an operating system kernel taking over the world
- Debian, supplying most of our packages
- Ubuntu, turning free software into distributions such as Kubuntu